Business to Manufacturing Markup Language (B2MML) showed up in several spots on MESA’s Top 50 Downloads of 2014. But why?
A company’s operational IT landscape usually consists of many different systems with each one serving one or more functions. These systems were often purchased by different groups, at different times, from different suppliers, using similar data in different formats for different purposes, some may be managed by a manufacturing operations group with others managed by corporate IT. Taken together these systems are critical for a company’s manufacturing operations.
There comes a challenge to accomplish a business or operational improvement objective with collection systems that improve a plant or company’s manufacturing operations. This is because the objective requires exchanging data between different systems, each one providing a different interface or data format.
The ISA-95 standard, IEC/ISO 62264 as it is known internationally, is globally recognized as the leading method for structuring and exchanging manufacturing operations data between manufacturing and business systems. And, for exchanging data between manufacturing operations systems, or manufacturing execution systems (MES). The ISA-95 standard provides common terminology and data models that act as a framework for manufacturing data in all manufacturing industries.
MESA’s Business to Manufacturing Markup Language (B2MML) provides a ready-to-use XML implementation of the ISA-95 standard that allows IT and operational IT groups to jumpstart integration of their various IT and operational IT systems. The latest release is version 6 which was the #9 download from MESA’s website in 2014.
Since its initial release in 2001, B2MML has been used around the world by companies in all types of manufacturing processes. B2MML helps lower lifecycle integration costs, increase a company’s manufacturing agility, and deliver robust operational improvements. MESA freely provides B2MML as a service to manufacturing industries and continues to refine B2MML to support updates in the ISA-95 and IEC/ISO 62264 standards.
To help you understand and how the ISA-95 standard and B2MML can help your company MESA offers numerous articles, whitepapers and books such as:
- “Applying S88, S95 and B2MML in Dairy Enterprise Integration” by Arne Svendsen of Arla Foods https://services.mesa.org/resourcelibrary/showresource/07f5c3d2-e0fc-4c77-8240-8905b7819b3d
- “MESA White Paper #30: B2MML, Integration Patterns, and Data Mapping” by Dennis Brandl with BR&L Consulting https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/368ac11a-c5c2-421b-85b3-13509091e283
- “MESA White Paper #31: Intelligent Integration Interface (I3)” by Allan Møller Schmidt/COWI A/S https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/fba24f12-db88-4810-ad59-d4438d16a996
- “MESA White Paper #33: Scheduling Integration Using an ISA-95 Application in a Steel Plant”, by Iiro Harjunkoski, Margret Bauer, and Alexander Horch all with ABB Corporate Research, https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/b5162610-f3f9-4f98-9eba-53983e406dbb
- “Real Time Integration of Shop Floor Systems for Manufacturing Industries to Drive Lean Manufacturing Philosophy to Practice” by Ragunathan Kanagavelu (Ragu), IBM https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/8a4e0509-ae32-4682-92a9-9c17e32a5a64
- “A Well Oiled Interface – A Lubricants Manufacturer’s Slick B2MML Solution” by Eric Heavin, Yokogawa Corporation of America and Mark Weinmann, Chevron U.S.A., Inc. https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/f1bc5cdb-3175-4265-bcc9-96c6e6bc8dfa
- “B2MML for Plant Maintenance and Asset Management in a Global, Service Oriented, MES Scenario” by Frank Bezjak and Martin Zeller, Bayer Technology Services GmbH https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/dbf019cc-d8de-47e6-9b36-47aa89829a8a
- “Mapping SAP PP-PI, ISA-95 Production Schedule and ISA-95 Production Performance” by Javier Mauricio Mina, Claudia Melissa Ordoñez, and Oscar Amaury Rojas, University of Cauca https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/b1c924bd-cfd0-4989-b7ee-8ef456594a48
- “The Hitchhiker's Guide to Manufacturing Operations Management: ISA-95 Best Practices Book 1.0” by Charlie Gifford https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/87d0711f-a0ab-45eb-a0e7-6637084ac368
Also, MESA’s Global Education Program offers training courses and certificate programs to help individuals and companies learn how to best use B2MML. More information can be found at http://www.mesa.org/en/globaleducationprogram/educationprogram.asp. -----------------------------------------------------------
“B2MML V0600” https://services.mesa.org/ResourceLibrary/ShowResource/0f47758b-60f0-40c6-a71b-fa7b2363fb3a
Dave has over 25 years experience designing and delivering manufacturing operation management systems in the process industries. He is a long time member of the ISA95 committee, co-developer of B2MML, and a member of the Technical Advisory Groups representing the U.S. with IEC and ISO. Dave is currently the Director of the U.S. Development Center for Yokogawa.